Sunday, December 16, 2012

12/03/12 - 1 Corinthians 5 - 8


S - 1 Corinthians 6:1 - When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare to go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints?  2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world?  And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases?  3 Do you not know that we are to judge angels?  How much more, then, batters pertaining to this life!  4 So if you have such cases, why do you lay them before  those who have no standing  in the church?  5 I say this to your shame.  Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers,  6 but brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers?  7 To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong?  Why not rather be defrauded?  8 But you yourselves wrong and defraud - even your own brothers!

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,  10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.  11 And such were some of you.  But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

O - My child whom I love, today I want to tell you . . . you were also one of those.  You were a sinner and would not inherit the kingdom of God.  But you have also been sanctified, you have been justified through our Lord Jesus Christ's death on the cross.  So don't go to law against your own brother.  Is it not better to suffer for the Lord's sake and be a good witness.  Is it not better to suffer loss and win a new convert to the Lord through your actions.  So, turn the other cheek as often as you can.

A - I must learn to turn the other cheek.  I must learn to give God glory in the wake of my own loss or my own suffering.  And in so doing I will try to bring others into the knowledge of Jesus Christ and his saving grace.

P - Heavenly Father, forgive my for my attitude of retribution.  Give me strength to turn the other cheek as you did.  Give me the strength to forgive and forget in the midst of my won suffering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment