Friday, December 21, 2012

12/08/12 - 2 Corinthians 5 - 9


S - 2 Corinthians 9:6 - The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.  7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.  8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.  9 As it is written, "He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever."  10 He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.  11 You will be enriched  in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.  12 For the ministry of this service is thanksgiving to God.  13 By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission that comes from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contributions fro them and for all others, 14 while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you.  15 Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!

O - My child whom I love, today I want to tell you . . . give out of the goodness of your heart.  Do not give unless you want to give.  I do not want whatever you have to give me if you do not want to give it to me with your whole heart.  I can further the gospel without your money, time, etc.  What I do want is for you to want to give of your money and time.  When you give of yourself, you are the one getting the blessing.  Of course the ones who are the recipient of your giving will also be blessed and that is why you are giving in the first place.  But I want to bless you also by showing you how I can use your gifts to further my kingdom here on earth.  So, give what you want to give, give out of the goodness of your heart, and be happy about giving . . . or don't give at all.

A - I must decide in my heart what I am going to give to further the kingdom of God.  I must agree to give this and give it cheerfully.  If I am giving grudgingly or because I feel pressured to give, then my heart is not right and, while God can still use the gift to his glory, I will not be receiving the blessing that he has in store for me if I give my gift willingly and cheerfully.

P - Heavenly Father, forgive me for the times when I have given gifts half-heartedly or grudgingly.  Forgive me for my attitude of giving when I feel that way.  Help me to have the desire to give sacrificially to your work hear on earth because I want to give.  Help me to have a spirit o giving all year, not just during the Christmas season when it is the thing to do.  Give me a servants heart and a giving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment