Monday, December 17, 2012

12/04/12 - 1 Corinthians 9 - 11

S - 1 Corinthians 10:6 - Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did.  7 Do not be idolaters as some of them were/ as it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play."  8 We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day.  9 We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents,  10 nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer.  11 Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come.  12 Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.  13 no temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man.  God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

O - My child whom I love, today I want to tell you . . . learn from the example of my children who wandered the desert for forty years.  They disobeyed me and payed the penalty for it.  I have given you many examples of people who sinned and were caught up in their sin to the point where they lost their lives for it.  I have also given you many examples of people who served me faithfully and won my favor.  They lived long and fruitful lives and have received their reward for their diligence.  Which of those do you want to emulate.  Would you serve me, even if you ended up in jail like Paul?  Would you serve me even if it ended up getting you shot as some in recent history have done?  Would you serve me if it took you to some strange part of Africa where you had to face all sorts of strange animals and people?  Would you continue to serve you if you ended up getting very wealthy and did not have to work any longer?  Are you totally sold out for me?  Would you give up everything for me?  How committed are you to serving me for the rest of your life?

A - Well, those are all good questions!  How committed am I to serving God for the rest of my life.  It is so easy to say I want to serve him, as long as it means that I serve him where I am right now.  I will serve him in my present location and position.  But will I serve him if it means that I have to move somewhere else?  Will I serve him if it means that I have to move to another country?  Would I serve him if it meant losing everything that I now have?  How committed am I really?  Yes, I want to serve my Lord!  Yes I am willing to give up things to serve him!  Yes I am willing to move if that is what he asks me to do!  I truly do what to serve him for the rest of my life.

P - Heavenly Father, thank you for the examples that you have shown us in your word.  Thank you for the call that you have placed on my life.  Show me what I am going to have to do to serve you.  I am willing to serve you right where I am now.  I am willing to go somewhere else to serve you if that is what you want me to do.  I love you and want to serve you for the rest of my life, no matter what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment