Wednesday, August 22, 2012

08/20/12 - Jeremiah 35 - 37

S - Jeremiah 35: 12  Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah:  13 "Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel:  Go and say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, Will you not receive instruction and listen to my words?  declares the Lord.  14 The Command that Jonadab the son of Rechab gave to his sons, to drink no wine, has been kept and they have obeyed their father's command,  I have spoken to you persistently, but you have not listened to me.

O - My child whom I love, today I want to tell you . . . so, there are some people in the world who will listen to their father and obey him.  But I give commands people do not listen to me.  Will you listen to me?  If your father gave you directions, would you listen to him, right?  But do you listen to me?  If you, as a father, give instructions to your children, you expect them to be carried out, right?  I am your father!  Will you carry out my instructions?  You have an entire manual given to you with commands that I have given you.  And if you obey my commands, your life will be blessed.  Will you listen to me?

A - Okay, so let me get this straight, God is my father, and he has given me a simple set of instructions; live according to his commands.  I suppose that if my earthly father had given me the same set of instructions I would continue to live by them.  God is my heavenly father.  He cares about m even more than my earthly father did.  He is watching over me at all times.  He has more power than anyone can imagine, to take care of me. So, am I going to follow his instructions?  I guess it is up to me to continue to read God's word and continue to apply it to my life, not just in an effort to please my father, but so that his name will be praised by those around me who see that I am a living example of my father!

P - Heavenly Father, forgive me for the times when I disappoint you.  Forgive me for the times when I want to do things my own way, when I think I know better than you, as if that could even be possible.  Help me to continue to model my life after your son's life while he was here on earth.  I pray that by my life, your name would be glorified as I strive to be a living example to those around me of what a Christ -centered life should look like.  Forgive me for those times when I will go off course and help me to catch myself when that happens so I can beg for your forgiveness and get straightened out.

No comments:

Post a Comment